Thursday, July 19, 2007

Lost in Translation

With Beckham now in the US at LA Galaxy, it is clear that there are still some differences that need to be addressed. On facing the World's press at his presentation, David made his first cultural faux pas.

"The most important thing for me is my family, the second is the footba ... is the soccer. [mild embarrassment] I'll get used to that at some point. I'm sorry."

I had been planning to do this but thankfully the Soccer Weblog has saved me the time and put together this English/American phrasebook (with a few of our own additions!) to help David in his new life in the US!

EnglishAmerican
footballsoccer
squad/teamroster
fixturesschedule
shirtjersey
kituniform
bootscleats
kickoffout of the gate
shin padsshin guards
sent offejected
foul by Mastroenifoul on Mastroeni
attackoffense
drawtie
reservessecond string
pitchfield
defenderdefenseman
dressing roomlocker room
derbyrivalry
League TableLeague Standings
terracesstands
clean sheetshut out


I will endeavour to make sure all match reports are suitably translated! ;o)

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 8:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww so cute!

oh and i just found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va-PGV9RM4c

Apparently David Beckham is working with an American nonprofit too, called Malaria No More!

 
At 5:25 am, Blogger Mailyn said...

I'm honestly miffed that some people got angry over this [not saying you did, just some people I've talked to onlin] because for the entire rest of the world it IS called football. And they've been playing for a lot longer than the US has been at it. I think it's very egocentric when people expect the rest of the world to use the American name for the sport. I makes me so mad! LOL.

OK, I am a fan of a lot of teams and have been watcihng football forever and I don't like the stupid "soccer" word. LOL!!!

^__^

 
At 9:35 am, Blogger Rooney Magic said...

Haha thanks Paul...I've got an American friend who kept laughing when he heard that we use the word boots instead of cleats...

 
At 6:07 pm, Blogger Paulsworld said...

I don't like the word "soccer" either! It's football!!

 
At 8:07 pm, Anonymous Nathy said...

Hii!!

He is wonderful!!!!!!

This is my pag about him
http://davidbeckhamfans.gigafoto.com.br/

Go there.

Kisses

 
At 6:23 pm, Blogger Rooney Magic said...

Paul check this out :)

Click here

& here

 
At 2:16 am, Blogger Paulsworld said...

Wow! Why would anyone want to keep copies of all that old stuff? Still got all the old versions of the website myself though. You never know they might come back one day!! (subject to me winning the lottery and quitting my job!)

 
At 8:47 am, Blogger Rooney Magic said...

This website is soo fun! :D

 
At 1:51 pm, Blogger peiyi said...

yea. i've got to agree. paul gives the best updates. [are you feeling honoured now paul? =)]
haha. paul is great. no doubt about that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home