Monday, December 24, 2007

Beckham eager to play for Capello

David Beckham has welcomed Fabio Capello's appointment as England coach and hopes to be included when the Italian begins his tenure in January.

"Fabio is one of the managers players look up to and want to manage them. I hope I'll be part of his plans," said Beckham of his former Real Madrid boss. "I think he is going to be great for the players and the England team."

He was speaking on BBC Radio 2's David Beckham's Line of Enquiry, to be broadcast at 1505 GMT on Christmas Day.

Capello banished Beckham from his Madrid side when the former England captain announced his move to play for Los Angeles Galaxy in Major League Soccer.

But the Italian then changed his mind and recalled Beckham, allowing him to sign off his career in Spain in fairytale fashion as part of Madrid's La Liga-winning side.

"There were ups and downs with me and the manager at the time but he brought me back into the team and he had the belief in me to put me back in the team," said Beckham, who has won 99 caps for his country.

"It gave me an amazing end and I was sad when he got the sack as I believe he had turned the club and the players around and given the fans what they deserved, a trophy.

"I think he is a great appointment for England. Everyone wants someone leading you that has respect and success. He has definitely got that in his career."

Capello officially begins on 7 January and his first match in charge will be a friendly against Switzerland at Wembley on 6 February.

Source: BBCi

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home