Monday, March 24, 2008

Beckham seeks more than 100 caps

David Beckham described the prospect of winning his 100th cap against France on Wednesday as "an honour" but insisted he does not want to stop there.

The 32-year-old was left out of coach Fabio Capello's first squad last month but is now set to reach his milestone.

Beckham made it clear he has no plans to retire from international football.

"It is not about 'have your 100th game and then retire'. It is about carrying on trying to play well for my country," said the LA Galaxy midfielder.

"I never thought a year ago or two years ago that I would make 95 caps, never mind 100.

"I'm honoured that I'm making, hopefully, my 100th appearance in an England shirt but I'm also honoured to be doing it against one of the best teams in the world.

"But as much as I'm honoured to be here I want it to carry on."

The former England captain will join a select band of England centurions if he plays in Paris on Wednesday, joining Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, Billy Wright and Peter Shilton.

Whether Beckham could surpass Shilton's record of 125 caps is uncertain but he does feel he can still be involved come the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

By then Beckham would have just turned 35.

"It is something I want to reach. I would love to play and be part of the squad in 2010. But I'm taking it as it comes - who knows what is round the corner?

"The combination of the players and the combination of manager and staff is setting us up right for the qualification games for the World Cup."

When asked about speculation he could be made skipper for Wednesday's match, Beckham moved quickly to dismiss the rumour.

And he also may have inadvertently let slip who Capello will choose to lead the side, before the announcement has been made.

"I don't know (about being given the armband)," said Beckham. "John Terry is the captain and he deserves to be.

"He's a great captain and he will carry on being a great captain for Chelsea and England."

Source: BBCi

You can watch the Beckham interview, courtesy of Sky Sports, by clicking here.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home