Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Becks in mood for revenge

David Beckham will need no added motivation when England face Croatia on Wednesday.

The Three Lions slumped to defeats home and away against Slaven Bilic's men during Euro 2008 qualifying, with Beckham enduring a painful night at Wembley as England failed to reach a major international tournament for the first time in 14 years.

The two sides are now set to meet once again on the road to the 2010 World Cup, with England determined to make amends for their previously lacklustre showings.

Some members of Fabio Capello's squad have been quick to play down suggestions that revenge will be on the cards in Zagreb, but Beckham insists that will play a major role when the teams go head-to-head in midweek.

Passion
"Totally. All players like to get their own back on a team who've beaten them and we'll be no different going to Croatia," the legendary winger told Nuts magazine

"The game comes early in the qualifying campaign, so it may not be decisive, but we have to go there and perform better than we did in the Euros.

"Passion is never a problem in any England team I've played in, but the results haven't always gone our way."

Motivator
Beckham started England's opening qualifier, against Andorra on Saturday, on the bench, but is tipped to return to the starting XI in place of Theo Walcott.

The LA Galaxy star is taking nothing granted, but expects Croatia to provide substantially tougher opposition than their weekend opponents.

"Croatia are a top side, as they proved against us in the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign," he said.

"They have some quality players and their coach, Slaven Bilic, is a good motivator. But we have to make sure we go into this game believing we can beat them."

Challenge
The 33-year-old also confirmed that he hopes to remain part of the international fold all the way up the finals in South Africa.

"That's certainly my target. It's a massive challenge for me and I don't know whether or not I'll make it, but it's where I want to be," he added.

"My age isn't an issue, as far as I'm concerned, and as long as I can stay fit, I believe I can help England get to the next World Cup and play a significant part in South Africa itself.

"I've always said I'll never retire from international football and that's still my position. Pulling on that shirt means so much to me."

Source: Sky Sports

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home